Email Enabled Lists

After lots of digging, I finally got incoming-email-to-list functionality working in MOSS. Take a look at Steve Smith's excellent tutorial on getting things set up here. I had several issues during my setup, but here are the highlights:
  • Get things configured first using a machine-name/sub-domain first (i.e. use email@servername.company.com instead of email@company.com)
  • The MS least-privilege configuration doesn't apply here - each web application with lists that you want to be email-enabled must use the same app-pool identity as Central Administration (i.e. the "farm account"). Note that you can (and should) still have separate app-pools, but they have to run using the same identity.
  • Don't forget to delegate control to the app-pool identity for making changes in AD. After getting frustrated I just granted full-control to the OU and then went back later and fixed it.
  • Make sure the Sharepoint Timer service is running, otherwise the emails will just sit in the maildrop folder on your SMTP server and they'll never make it to a list. Trust me.
  • I should be kicked for this... Make sure the user account that you are using to test actually has rights to post to the list. As far as I can tell, MOSS doesn't send you any sort of "post rejected" email to let you know, so you'll be chasing your tail. Again, trust me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ERROR: Failed to create feature receiver...

Programmatically Update Page Layouts