You should pretty much follow this verbatim, but here are a few points to make things go smoothly
- When Setting up SharePoint Search, make sure you include the Domain with the username (or you'll get a cryptic error)
- After setting up SharePoint Search, if you're installing MOSS, turn on all the other services except for the document conversion related services.
- If installing MOSS, make sure you create an SSP.
- Don't delete the default web application, just stop it. Chances are deleting it won't hurt you but there are a few things that could get screwed up if you totally delete the default web application (for more info see this post).
- Do yourself a favor and put STSDEV on there.